Off Limits


The extremely cold temperatures here in Houston over the weekend made for idea conditions to hole up, eat chili and watch movies for a couple of days! Granted, the chili isn't as spicy as it used to be, holing up requires more craft-like activities and the movies include much more animation and princesses than they used to.

But it was also a good time for lesson learning. This has nothing to do with manners, respect or why one shouldn't juggle three eggs that have not been previously boiled...inside... (that was a different weekend). But this was a lesson about territory.

Most people have their 'space'...or at least a desire for such a thing. And most people know places they just should NOT go. For example, a party un-invited, the wrong part of town after dark, or how many partners your partner partnered with before you were the partner...you just don't go there.

Sure, a teenager learns that space and privacy is a welcome thing (putting it politely, I'm sure)...but when the hell does a FOUR YEAR OLD learn this?!
Reagan was diligently at work in her room at her desk drawing pictures and playing. "What a great kid", I'm thinking. She ran back out, into the kitchen to get the roll of tape, and then quickly disappeared. SURELY she's making another fine art-craft to send to the grandparents, and she sealing it up like a WW2 secret code tablet to be delivered to the Navajos to decyphering.

Shortly thereafter, I get summoned to The Girl's room. "Daddy", she said, "this sign means that NO people are allowed in my room". "You see this? That says no. THAT is a person. And those X'x (of which there were many), means people are not allowed in my room". The sign was sealed nearly permanently to the outside of the four-year-old's door...then she shut it in my face.

I stood there for a minute to assess this new restriction that has been imposed on me, and all who enter...or shall I say, contemplate to enter. I tried to think of where this came from, and all I could come up with is when we talk about the street signs on the way to and from school, and when to ignore them.

All I know is that the line for the wrong side of town has just been moved to just down the hall!
0 Responses